Slip and fall accidents can have debilitating consequences, especially if you’re an older adult. These types of injuries can happen at any time when least expected. When it is not your fault, you should seek the maximum compensation for all your damages.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
- Uneven or wet walking surfaces. At a worldwide level, this is by far the most common cause of slip and fall accidents. It can happen in residential, commercial, industrial, or public places.
- Weather conditions. Anyone that has lived in a region where it snows is aware of the hazard snow and ice represent. Building management professionals and homeowners are responsible for maintaining sidewalks, driveways, stairwells, and other areas clear from snow and ice. Salting the surface helps prevent ice from forming and it is standard practice during winter months.
- Loose cords and wires. This is another common cause of slip and fall accidents. People have tripped over these loose components as they are walking inside a building or even outside on the sidewalk. Personal injury lawyers in Las Vegas can assess the case and take the necessary legal steps to hold the responsible party liable for your injuries.
- Lack of handrails. All facilities should be equipped with handrails in stairways, bathrooms, and other sites where a slip and fall accident may occur. The negligence of building managers results in terrible accidents that could easily be avoided.
- Neglect in senior care facilities. This a sad situation for older adults. They are a vulnerable population that often get mistreated in nursing homes. It is common for the staff to leave them alone without assistance. Aging people have a decreased sense of balance and diminished abilities that can easily cause them to slip and fall.
How to Handle a Slip and Fall Injury
The first step after seeking medical attention is contacting a personal injury lawyer in Henderson or Las Vegas. You should also follow these steps:
- Ask for a copy of the medical report.
- Report the injury and ask for an incident report.
- Take photographs, videos, and witness statements.
- Preserve all evidence including clothing and documents.
- Don’t sign anything or give anyone statements.
Allow Your Personal Injury Attorney Handle the Case
A personal injury North Las Vegas requires professional support. Dobberstein Law Group has worked on numerous slip and fall cases and has helped clients receive monetary compensation for their damages. Call us for a free consultation today!